Monday, September 14, 2015

DELIVER PHASE - OFFICE OF UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH


  • What are some ways you follow up with students outside of a structured appointment? 
I have a regular practice of sending a follow-up email the day I first meet with a student.  I send them a re-cap of our discussion that day and individualized reminders, encouragements, and resources as warranted.  I also make a note of their individual research/academic interests (we have a pretty amazing database that we built for keeping track of this sort of thing) and follow-up again later with information about opportunities in line with their interests as those arise (if they arise).  Before the student leaves the meeting, I state and re-state several times that they will have my email address and can email or call me anytime with questions about any step in the research process.  I emphasize that I want to know about progress – good or bad – and that they can give me updates at any point.  I have several students who take this to heart and I get to celebrate their successes with them as they go.  Many other students only come to me when they encounter an obstacle or may never come back to see me at all.  As my program is completely optional and can be navigated without my advising, all of these outcomes are acceptable.  (Although I prefer to know how things are going for students.)  Additionally, we require students in UROP to attend a few events of each semester of funding and I try to follow-up with students who have expressed concerns, difficulties, etc. in person at the events that they attend.
  • What are the challenges you face with following up and how do you address them?
The non-madatory advising for my programs means that there is a limit to how much follow-up is appropriate from me with students after an initial meeting, if they have not chosen to reach out to me.  This is my biggest challenge with following-up.  In the interim between an initial meeting with a student and the student’s application to our programs, I have no way of knowing how they are doing unless they reach out to me.  I have no way of knowing if they even intend to pursue a research project at all.  And since engaging in  research and, more specifically, engaging in research via the programs in my office are optional, increasing my follow-up may seem unwelcoming and pushy.  Many students need time between an initial meeting with me and an application to our programs and this can be for a variety of reasons that do not warrant additional prompts from me (e.g. the student came to see me very early on and did not intend to pursue research yet, but wanted to get on the right path to do so later or the student needs some time to process their interests and when a paid research position can fit into their life).  It is a fine line between supporting students when they need it or it would be helpful and when it is too forceful and will scare them away, especially in an optional program.

Submitted by:
Stephanie Shiver

No comments:

Post a Comment