Monday, September 14, 2015

DELIVER PHASE - AMERICAN INDIAN RESOURCE CENTER



What are the challenges you face with following up and how do you address them?

It is often hard to squeeze students into a busy advising day/week. So, I utilize social events to conduct some follow up.


What are some ways you follow up with students outside of a structured appointment? 

I do my best to encourage the students I advise, to attend certain campus events. And then I do my best to be active on campus and to attend these same student/staff/faculty functions. It makes for a great conversation/follow up outside the office. It shows the student that not only am I encouraging them to attend these events but that I also have a genuine interest in the same events. I think they feel good when they see you there. It also allows for networking by introducing them to my other students that are present at the event.
As an example, a University College advisor that advises Education majors, may run into their student at an event provided by the College of Education. And have a conversation about an issues they discussed at a previous advising appointment.

Submitted by:
Anthony Shirley
Interim Academic Advisor, American Indian Resource Center
Assistant Professor, Language & Literature Department

No comments:

Post a Comment