Thursday, September 17, 2015

DELIVER PHASE - INTERNATIONAL AND AREA STUDIES

FOLLOW-UP
1) I create Outlook reminders to check in with the student.
For example, I met with a transfer student in the summer to discuss scholarships available and the application process. I made a reminder in September to email the student and check on her progress.

2) In my notes, I have begun adding a “follow-up suggestion” at the end of my notes, so I will know to return to a topic/check-on/or congratulate a student on a goal they’ve met when we meet again.

3) When I am prepping for my appointments with students trying to meet a certain GPA or receive certain grades for that past semester, I will note any successes or achievements from their DARS and start off the meeting by congratulating them on making their goal that semester.

4) International & Area Studies completes a short survey for every declared student. This way, during a students’ first declared semester, we are able to easily retrieve their contact information and send them a check-in email on how they are feeling with the major/core classes/language study, if they have found any extracurricular activities on campus, etc., and encourage the student to meet with an advisor in the coming semester.


CHALLENGES:
--making follow-ups feel personalized

Submitted by:
Ashley Glenn
International and Area Studies

No comments:

Post a Comment