Sunday, February 22, 2015

DISCOVER - LATU KINIKINI, SCHOOL OF BUSINESS

It is important to remember why we are asking questions. When I worked with students on academic warning or probation, I purposely ask open-ended questions that will allow students to self-reflect.

In general, I feel that one of the roles of all advisors is to facilitate an engaging dialogue with students as they try to understand and make meaning of their college experience. Some of the questions I ask are: 

-How may I help you?
-Why are you in college/university?
-Why do you want to major in ______?


Another important piece to engaging with students is active listening without interrupting. Greek philosopher Diogenes put it well when he said, “We have two ears and only one tongue in order that we may hear more speak less.”

Latu Kinikini
Academic Advising Coordinator

Business Scholars
801.585.0486
1655 Campus Center Drive
Salt Lake City, Utah 84112

No comments:

Post a Comment