Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Jill Wilson's Reflection on the NACADA Annual Conference 2013

This was my first NACADA conference and I feel very fortunate that I was able to go.  I attended nine different sessions over three days.  My goal was twofold: first to learn more about specific student populations with whom I have not had much experience, and second to learn ways to be better at the day-to-day details of my job.

To the first end, I attended four sessions focusing on the populations of Transgender students, students with Autism Spectrum Disorder, distressed students, and students entering school after having been incarcerated. All four sessions provided valuable insight into the struggles these students face, and the presentations were given in a good-humored yet respectful manner. 

Additionally, I attended sessions on time management, ethics in advising, working with parents, and working to connect faculty with their students.  I found the session on time management to be the most valuable one to me, because everyone in the room was invited to share their favorite tips and there were some really great ones.  In the session on parents, I was shocked (SHOCKED!) to learn that today’s students are best of friends with their parents and actually want to hang out with them. Of course I am from the “never trust anyone over 30” generation, so this was big news to me.


I am grateful to have had the opportunity to attend NACADA this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment