Tuesday, September 10, 2013

New Advisor Spotlight: Elizabeth Archuleta

Enjoy an introduction to one of the newest advisors on campus:

In July 2011, the Board of Regents approved the Ethnic Studies major. In August 2013, Ethnic Studies hired its first Academic Advisor to assist students. Her name is Elizabeth Archuleta—that's me! I was born and raised in Salt Lake City, UT.  I moved away in 1994 to attend graduate school at Pennsylvania State University and received my Ph.D. In English in 2002. 

I taught at the University of New Mexico in the English Department until 2007, then I moved to Arizona State University and taught in the Gender Studies Program until 2011. I resigned my teaching position in 2011 and became trained and certified as a Diversity Consultant. 

After some major life changes, I relocated back to Salt Lake and tried to figure out what I wanted to do with my life. I missed working in a university setting and with students, so I sought out a position that allowed me to do both. I was lucky enough to land a job with the Ethnic Studies program and work with students who, like myself, are mainly first generation and underrepresented in large research universities. 

I've just made my office look less like a storage room and more like a place where students can relax, so I'm looking forward to next week when school starts. I'm also looking forward to our renovated space and moving up to the third floor where we'll have windows! 


I'm excited to be back home and working with students who can help make our home state the best place to work and live!